Best Economical Kia Models for Uber and Lyft Drivers
Over the past years, people around the world recognize they have access to a new source of income. That source is you providing transportation to other people using your personal vehicle in exchange for a fee. Basically, you become an independent taxi-like service (ride-share services) regulated by a digital network. There are two main organizations that provide those networks, namely Uber and Lyft.
The hook to tapping into this new source of income is drivers must have a vehicle qualified by Uber or Lyft. The good news is Gateway Kia in Quakertown PA inventories qualified vehicles for both Uber and Lyft ride-share services. If you’re thinking about driving for Uber and Lyft, then this blog will help you decide the best Kia model for each ride-share option.
Considerations For a Ride-Share Kia
First, we found drivers in ride-share services can accumulate as much as 1,000 miles per week on their vehicles. If driving on weekdays only, then you could be totaling 200 miles per day. For that, we consider the obvious reliability, fuel efficiency, and safety. But, to get good passenger reviews and repeat business, you must consider passenger comfort (back-seat head and legroom, seat comfort, smoothness of ride, storage capacity). Our suggestions here cover all factors to help choose the best possible Kia model.
To choose the best Kia model for Uber and Lyft ride-share services, you must know the class your vehicle fits into. For that, we’ll simplify our information by using Uber terms, which align easily with Lyft terms. So, let’s get started!
- UberX = Lyft: Sedan or larger vehicles valued from $15,000, this is the most popular class because passenger fare is the lowest.
- UberXL = Lyft Plus: SUV, Minivan, or larger valued from $20,000, higher fares and may be driven under UberX services. These vehicles also qualify for UberPool.
- UberBLACK = Lyft Lux: Mid to Full-sized luxury vehicles valued from $25,000, black interior and exterior, may be driven in lower services.
- UberSUV = Lyft SUV: Full-size SUV vehicles valued from $30,000, if black on black the SUV qualifies for UberBLACK, also may be driven in lower services.
One thing to keep in mind, all UberSUVs (the highest fare) can be driven for all lower class services. So, if you are a pre-existing owner of a Full-sized SUV or planning to purchase one, then you have access to the maximum potential for earned revenue. If you have a Kia vehicle and don’t see it here, then please contact Uber or Lyft and ask if your model qualifies.
Minimum Requirements in PA
Next, you need to know Uber minimum requirements in Pennsylvania.
- 15-year-old vehicle or newer
- 4-door vehicle
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- No commercial branding
- Pass a vehicle inspection
- Uber accepts both official and temporary registration documents. The vehicle does not need to be registered in your name to qualify.
State inspection & Insurance
Your motor vehicle must meet all applicable inspection requirements and you must maintain a valid insurance policy. In the U.S., Uber maintains automobile liability insurance on behalf of its partners.
In Philadelphia and the surrounding areas like Quakertown PA, the most popular Uber options are uberX, uberXL, and uberPOOL. Most newer cars qualify to drive in uberX class, which is the most popular option for riders because of its lower fares. The UberXL option requires your vehicle seat extra passengers and have a higher capacity. This helps you earn higher fares.
UberX and UberPOOL – Additional requirements:
- A 4-door vehicle with independently opening passenger doors
- Must have 5 factory-installed seats and seat belts
- Working windows and air conditioning
- Definately no vans, box trucks, or similar vehicles
- No taxicabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
- Absolutely no salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- No aftermarket seating modifications, such as installed seats, seat belts, or BedRyder systems
The Kia models pre-qualified by Uber for uberX and uberPOOL, are the Kia Optima and Sorento. As you know the Optima is our stylish 4-door sedan, and the Sorento is our midsize SUV. Both have a perfect combination of comfort and reliability for your passengers.
UberXL – Additional requirements:
Same additional requirements as above except uberXL is limited to 7 factory-installed seats and seat belts. The Kia model pre-qualified by Uber for uberXL is the Kia Sorento. The Sorento is our midsize SUV with more interior capacity than most SUV classes and has very comfortable three-row seating.
Now that we’ve covered the very basic requirements and the pre-qualified Kia models, check back to read our next blog on Uber and Lyft driver strategies. In that blog, we’ll share the differences between new, used, and precertified vehicles. Also, we’ll write about some best-kept secrets for optimizing your Uber and Lyft ride-share services.